Sunday, March 1, 2015

#57DAYSTILWIFEDOM DAY 2

I feel like this is techinically day 3 since there was only 57days until I am a wife. Nonetheless let me tell you how day "two" went.

I kept it simple for breakfast Friday morning with an Apple and a cup of Joe. Lunch was an easy out too I'm ashamed to admit. Jake was off from work Friday and was "in the valley" as they say in Juneau. Translation: the part of Juneau where I work and live, about ten or fifteen minutes from where Jake lives. A huge distance in Juneau terms. Since he was near by he let me know he would treat me to chinese for lunch. I said, "How come you can eat out if we are suppose to be saving money?" He said, "This is the last time" (insert Jake's joyful laughter). 
But I did make Jake and I dinner that evening after I got off work. On the menu: shrimp fajitas! I used frozen shrimp, a mccormicks fajita packet, olive oil, half an onion, my last orange pepper (again because it was beginning to go old) and two green bell peppers. I used one of our wedding gifts, a cast iron skillet, to cook the fajitas. 
While I cooked Jake played video games, something he rarely does. He got a new superhero game and loves it. Its kind of adorable in a funny way. When he would get excited about doing well he'd run in the kitchen with a proud and grateful-for-the-coming-food grin and give me a kiss along with words of encouragement on my cooking. Got to love those simple, silly moments. 
I lightly sauteed the shrimp without letting them cook thoroughly and let the veggies sautee alone much longer. Despite my lack of experience in the kitchen I remembered how easily shrimp overcook. Once the vegitables were tender I stirred in the bit of water and seasoning as called for by the directions and stired the grub up. I added the shrimp to finish them up and began cooking the corn tortillas I bought. I had Jake shred up some cheese for the fajitas and I put some sour cream out. 
We devored every last bit of them. I know, we can eat a lot. But they were good, I must admit. I worried the delicateness of the shrimp would be overly salted from the fajita seaoning but leaving the shrimp until the last minute was a good thought. Hey, look at my kitchen instincts coming out!

I sent Jake back to wrap up his video games and cleaned up the kitchen. I refused his offer to help clean up on account of his enthusiasm about his new game. He did however make an ice cream run :) 

It was kind of tiring to cook a whole meal again after working but this recipe was really easy. Even cleaning the kitchen didn't make the job too much. Jake and I even enjoyed an evening out on the town for a few drinks and live music. 



I liked being able to accomplish another meal again. I like having all these left overs for lunches throughout the week and I love saving money. Groceries are expensive in Juneau, I will admit that. But I am very blantantly realizing how much more expensive it is to eat out. When I cook a meal it feeds me beyond that one serving and even when I cook for two I sometimes have a little left over. Cooking and house keeping are also just a part of life. I am more at peace when my space is clean and organized and I am more at peace when I know that I am able to take care of myself and serve Jake as well. Like I said before, its worth the extra time on my feet. 

Thats all for today! Stay tuned to hear about my rendition of "Paleo" Creamy Chicken.  

No comments:

Post a Comment