Thursday, February 26, 2015

#60DAYSTILWIFEDOM

I have come up with a brilliant idea! I have decided to convert my blog (my many-times-over-abandoned blog) into a journey blog. I recently went through a major change in my life known as "Adulthood" - (n.) a state of life in which one pays the bills and works 40+ hours a week to do so. synonyms: exhaustion, poverty, regularcallstodadandmom, ... You get the point. This state of being was launched when I moved from the southern East coast to southeast Alaska. You can imagine the drastic change, or can you? It was a big one. There have been many "I have no control of my life" moments and a few "hey it is nice to have money! oh, wait. nevermind." moments. In all honesty I moved to Juneau to be with my beloved fiancé, Jake. It has been an incredible gift to be near him and despite the struggles Juneau offers me its been worth every bit of the "launch".
Another "gift" of being launched into adulthood far from anything familiar and, well, into southeast Alaska is I really have to budget my money for food. Confession: I haven't. But, I need to budget my money for food. 
I work in a retail store full time so as you can probably imagine my hours are not your traditional nine-to-five deal. My meal times are different everyday which makes preparing for meals a little more challenging than I had anticipated. Another kicker is food in Juneau costs not an arm or a leg or both but your first born child. In the money world that means a lot. Oh but there is more...If you've read my blog before or you know me personally you would know that I do not live with my fiancé. This fact makes meal times even more of a challenge. We attempt to share budgets and make time for each other at meal times but this results in eating out all the time. Remember how I told you that food in Juneau is expensive? Yeah. Eating out eats my bank account. Pun intended. 
Well my wedding is in exactly two months as of yesterday (yesterday marked 59 days until my wedding but 60 has a ring to it plus February throws everything off). After our last marriage preperation meeting where we discussed finances, Jake and I have decided to be smarter about money. We are also feeling a little crunched for money with many upcoming costs for our wedding. With these thoughts in mind Jake challenged me to save as much money as I can so that we don't arrive back in Juneau after the wedding unable to pay our bills. "Broke" would be a very bad way to enter a marriage in my opinion. I have taken him up on this challenge which means no more eating out and buying "quick meals". This means I have purchased groceries so that I can actually cook my own meals. 
Let me give you a little more background on myself. I don't cook. I grew up in a family where both of my parents knew how to cook and cook well. My oldest sister is the perfect pioneer woman and can make some of the best homemade food, of course from scratch. (I am convinced she can actually make anything.) My other sister is very independent and has had a lot of food allergies throughout her life so she definitely picked up the niche for cooking. My brother was once upon a time a cook manager for a restaurant and now manages a restaurant where he puts many of his own culinary creations on his menu. I on the other hand make coffee, eggs, and salad. Let us just say that having been so spoiled with many good cooks in my life, I have a lack of experience in the kitchen. 
So here is my idea (you thought I would never get there didn't you?): I am going to keep a blog on my journey toward wifedom - (n.) a state of life in which I cook and do "home makey things" not because its "my place" but because I have a natural desire to be a homemaker and care for a family and their home. I am going to blog about the meals I make and how I make it work with my wacky, untraditional schedule and limited budget. As I find more ideas on how to get this whole adulthood thing under control while heading toward marriage, I will share those journeys as well. 

Enjoy my readers :) 

3 comments:

  1. meal prepping will save your life (wallet). pick one of your days off and just chop all the veggies and fruits you'll need to make meals that week. i also do things like make rice and sweet potatoes in bulk. i know i'll eat it throughout the week. it's easier when i get home at 9:40 after a closing shift to just throw a sweet potato in the microwave and top with goat cheese then try to prep an entire meal. good luck! let me know if you need help with anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't remember - do you have a crock pot? They come in handy while you're working or away from home and you can usually make enough food for a few meals. Also, you have 'good cook' DNA, so I believe your culinary skills are only beginning to blossom! Jake's a lucky man. ;-)

    Bon appetit!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete